Apr 18, 2011

Happy Easter!

We're busy getting our camping gear in order as we'll be spending Easter doing the "Kebnekaise-loop", i.e. skijoring a distance of approx. 100 kilometres (62 miles) around Sweden's highest mountain, Kebnekaise. 

This beautiful picture of Tuisku was made by American artist Lynda Ste. Jhourré who is also owner of  Windchaser Alaskan Malamutes. Lynda has a wonderful talent for creating beautiful, dreamy art and her love for the Alaskan Malamute shines through in every design. Incidentally, the mountain peak in the foreground looks a lot like the famous peak of "Nallo" which we will be passing on our excursion. 


Keikewabic's Tundra Tuisku by Lynda Ste. Jhourré.

April has been a mild month and we're not so sure about the trail conditions, hopefully there will be enough snow to get us around the mountain and back. Have a Happy Easter everyone! :-)


2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hi Marit!
It's been a long time since I left a comment. But I've been visiting more often than not. I love your new blog, and this painting is extraordinary. I hope life in your new venue is treating you well! I had a wonderful season mushing this year. My new Alaskan Husky puppy, Ginsberg, has become a very fine sled dog. My mal-mix Cora did wonderfully, too, but Ginsberg is faster so they're not particularly well matched to hook up together. But life goes on, an it's good.
Warmly,
Kathleen

Marit Kangas said...

Hi Kathleen,

Lovely to hear from you! I've thought about you and Cora, wondering if you've been out skijoring this winter. Sled dogs are addictive, lol, I'm not surprised to hear that you've expanded your team. A husky pup sounds like a lot of fun! :-)

Do you use a neckline when skijoring with both? If not, using one could make them run smoother together, as it will get Cora to speed up a little while Ginsberg may adjust his speed to hers. You'll find really good necklines at Black Ice: http://www.blackicedogsledding.com/page12.html look for a "Lead Section Neckline".

I love my new home but Lapland is in my blood and I need to go there at least a couple of times each year to feel ok. Also, the skijoring and sledding season is longer in Lapland so we're happy to sit in the car for a few hours to be able to hit the trails in late April - when nearly all snow is gone at home.

I'm off on our trip now but will check in at your blog when I return.

Best,
Marit